Oct 11, 2021
Chairperson: S. Tran Treasurer: M. Choi Secretary: S. Tran (interim)
Staff: Mike Murray (Principal)
In Attendance: J. Chow, L. Leung, H. Roy, E. Shi, N. Kaur, J. Huang, H. Cheng, S.Fong, K. Gabhane, M. Biswas, G. Leung, M. Hermosa, S, Cheng, S. Bhandal
Call to order: Meeting called to order at 6:34pm by Susan Tran.
- Status of School – Currently have 12 divisions. 288 students (K-7). We have over 70 students on our waitlist.
- New staff members – We would like to welcome – Ms. Geary (job-share partner with Mrs. Sangha in Division 12), Lilyan Parmar (returning to us, in Resource/ELL/LRT), Brittany Lee (prep teacher for Ms. Tseng who is on maternity leave), Mr. Harris (returning to us, Division 2 teacher, Gr. 6/7)
- Seismic Update – Our gym is currently under construction and will not be available for us to use until the end of October. The old wing of the school is also awaiting construction, in the last phase of our seismic upgrade. Our project is slated to end near Spring Break 2022
- Construction of MCFD Daycare – to the east of the school. Walls are going up. Slated to be completed by spring 2022. The YMCA is running the program in this building.
- Before and After School Care at Tomsett – as part of our agreement with MCFD, our school must provide Before and After School care for students at Tomsett. This program is also being run by the YMCA. More details to follow.
- Work on Alexandra Street Park (across the road from the school has begun). Please be careful in the neighbourhood while construction is occurring.
- There are many things that we are continuing to do in an effort to keep our children safe during this time. We ask that if your child is not feeling well, please keep them at home.
- FSA’s – will be beginning at the end of October for Grade 4 and 7 students
- We will be starting our Breakfast Club up at the end of October when our gym reopens. More information regarding this is to follow
- A reminder to parents about dropping children off directly in front of the school in the morning and picking them up in front of the school in the afternoon. Please try not to be in a hurry. We also have students who require our Accessible Parking spot in front of the school. Please be careful when rounding this corner, especially at the end of the school day.
- Terry Fox Run – Friday September 24 @ 2:00pm – we will be collecting donations (Toonies for Terry) all week next week. Primary students will participate in the event and then intermediates. The run will happen outside, and we will be encouraging students to walk and wear masks
- Teachers yearly allotment, for supplies, will be increased to $160 from $150.
- Because of Covid 19- there will be no social gatherings (movie nights, Christmas concert) until further notice.
- Pizza Day Lunch- Friday October 8, 2021. Order forms will be sent out around September 24, 2021.
- Fridays: will be Tomsett T-Shirt Day. Please contact Mr. Murray if your child needs a shirt or has not picked theirs up from last year.
- Friday store: will be closed until further notice. We cannot have groups of students lined up to buy food and we cannot prep fresh uncooked food.
- Will look into having “hot lunches” throughout the school year. We will look at different restaurants for options. Most restaurants may not be operating at full capacity because of Covid.
- Food Bank Drive for Thanksgiving. Collecting food donations from September 28 to October 8, 2021. Our goal will be to donate over 600lbs of goods (last Christmas we collected 547.5 lbs). If we can reach and exceed this goal, PAC and Fusion Feast will throw Tomsett a pizza party in November.
- Position of Secretary is currently available. If you are interested, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. The role of the Secretary is to keep notes during the meeting and submit the writeup afterwards. The Secretary will also be a signing officer (signing cheques). The Secretary needs to have a bank account with Coast Capital Credit Union (Credit Union rule).
- Bank Accounts: (as of September 15, 2021)
- General Account: $6545.45
- Gaming Account: $342.81
- Gaming Grant was submitted in June 2021. Have until September 30, 2021, to receive approval. Application is currently pending approval.
Meeting was adjourned at 6:54pm by Susan Tran.
Next meeting will be on Wednesday October 13, 2021, at 6:30pm on Zoom.
- (no comments)